Strategic Planning Board
Purpose of committee
1. To oversee the division of the Council’s Development Management functions and workload in order to ensure timely and consistent decision-making at the most appropriate level, and to that end
(a) to monitor the volume and type of applications determined; assessing the performance of the Development Management service, and, if appropriate
(b) to vary the number, size and working arrangements of the Planning Committees, to appoint their membership, to vary the division of functions and delegations between the Board, the Planning Committees and the Head of Planning & Policy
(c) to adopt working protocols and procedures: eg: protocols governing the direction of applications between the Planning Committees, public speaking rights, call-in procedure and others.
2. To exercise the Council's functions relating to town & country planning & development control, the protection of important hedgerows, the preservation of trees and the regulation of high hedges set out in the Local Authorities (Functions & Responsibilities)(England) Regulations 2000. Most of these functions are delegated to the Planning Committees and then onwards to the Head of Planning & Policy but the following are reserved to the Board
(a) applications for Large Scale Major Development, defined from time to time by DCLG. Currently this includes
- residential developments of 200 dwellings or more, or 4 ha or more;
- 10,000 square metres or more, or 2ha. or more of retail, commercial or industrial or other floorspace.
(b) applications for major minerals or waste development
(c) applications requiring Environmental Impact Assessments
(d) applications involving a significant departure from policy which a Planning Committee is minded to approve.
(e) any other matters which have strategic implications by reason of their scale, nature or location.
(f) any other matters referred up to it at the discretion of the Head of Planning & Policy.
3. To exercise a consultation and advisory role, commenting upon the content of proposed planning policy and upon the effectiveness of existing policies employed in development control decisions.
- Councillor Harold Davenport (Chairman)
- Councillor George Walton (Vice-Chairman)
- Councillor Rachel Bailey
- Councillor David Brickhill
- Councillor David Brown
- Councillor Paul Edwards
- Councillor John Hammond
- Councillor Derek Hough
- Councillor Philip Hoyland
- Councillor Janet Jackson
- Councillor Brendan Murphy
- Councillor David Newton
- Councillor Lesley Smetham
- Councillor Steve Wilkinson
- Councillor John Wray
- Councillor Chris Thorley (Reserve)
Support officer: Sarah Baxter. Democratic Services Officer
Phone: 01270 686462