Agenda and minutes

Crewe Town Board
Friday, 5th March, 2021 9.30 am

Venue: Virtual

Note: Please note that this meeting whilst advertised on the Cheshire East Council website is not a public meeting . 

Items
No. Item

70.

Apologies for Absence (1 Minute)

To receive any apologies for absence.

Minutes:

Apologies for absence were received from Kim Cooper and Doug Kinsman.

71.

Declarations of Interest (1 Minute)

To receive any declarations of interest.

Minutes:

In the interest of openness in respect of agenda item 5-‘Planning Application - 5G Mast’, Councillor J Rhodes declared there was a possibility the application could be considered by the Cheshire East Southern Planning Committee of which she was a Member, therefore in accordance with the Code of Conduct she took no part in consideration of the item.

 

In the interest of openness in respect of agenda item 5-‘Planning Application - 5G Mast’, Councillor N Mannion declared there was a possibility the application could be considered by the Cheshire East Southern Planning Committee of which he could potentially attend as a substitute, therefore in accordance with the Code of Conduct he took no part in consideration of the item.

72.

Minutes of the previous virtual meeting including actions (10 Minutes) pdf icon PDF 76 KB

To approve as a correct record the minutes of the previous virtual meeting held on 5 February 2021 and to consider and note the actions from the virtual meeting.

 

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

RESOLVED

 

That the minutes of the virtual meeting held on 5 February 2021 be approved as a correct record.

 

The Chairman went through the list of actions from the previous virtual meeting and updated members on the status of each action accordingly.

 

73.

Peveril Securities Royal Arcade Development Update (1 hour)

To receive a presentation from Peveril Securities on the Royal Arcade development.

Minutes:

Representatives of Peveril Securities attended the virtual meeting and gave a presentation on the Royal Arcade development.  Highlighted within the presentation was information on the background to the development, the hybrid planning application, the proposed bus station layout, the multi-storey car park façade treatments, the site layout, the scheme benefits, the consultation strategy, the feedback process and the next steps.

 

Members of the Board asked questions and put comments in relation to:

 

  • The content of the website and the information contained within the links particularly with regard to the feedback and consultation sections;
  • The design of the car park and whether or not consideration had been given to the southern elevation as well as the northern elevation;
  • Whether or not more greenery could be incorporated into the design of the outside area of the car park;
  • Whether or not consideration had been given to ensuring the design of the car park assisted in preventing anti-social behaviour, for example additional visibility, lighting, safety and so forth;
  • Further consideration to the design of the meshing should be undertaken;
  • The projection of images included within the design features was welcomed;
  • When considering the Bus Station:
    • the civic pride element was considered to be a central pillar in bringing people together and it should be emphasised;
    • The design of the interior needed to give the feel of ‘arriving in Crewe’;
    • Community involvement in the design of the wall of the bus station was essential;
    • Engagement should be undertaken with the Cultural Forum on the design of the internal aspect of the bus station;
    • Provision of fast charging points for electric buses;
    • Proposed traffic flow and how this would impact on the surrounding area;
  • Local construction jobs and how deliverable was this

 

On behalf of the Board, the Chairman thank representatives from Peveril for taking the time to attend the virtual meeting and answering a number of points raised by members.

 

RESOLVED

 

That the presentation be noted.

74.

Planning Application - 5G Mast (10 Minutes)

The Chairman to ask for thoughts from the Board in respect of the planning application for a 5G mast in Crewe.

Minutes:

A draft response had been circulated to the Board prior to the virtual meeting in respect of a planning application relating to the erection of a 5G Mast at Edleston Road SF, Edleston Road, Crewe.  Members were asked to give their consideration on the draft response.  Members suggested some minor amendments to the wording of the response.

 

RESOLVED

 

That the draft response be endorsed subject to minor amendments to the wording as proposed by Board Members.

75.

Board Objectives (15 Minutes)

The Chairman to provide a verbal update and open up for discussion the objectives for the Board to adopt.

Minutes:

A paper had been circulated to the Board prior to the virtual meeting in respect the Board’s future objectives which included the following:-

 

  • Town Investment Plan Projects;
  • Accelerated Funding, Ly2;
  • Establishing Sub-Groups for:

a. Sports Provision & Open Spaces

b. Transportation, Green and Blue Infrastructure

c. Town Centre Re-Provisioning

d. Heritage Centre Governance Structure

  • Hs2 arrival
  • Community Engagement

 

RESOLVED

 

That the contents of the paper be endorsed.

76.

Sub-Groups (15 Minutes)

To receive an update on the creation of sub-groups.

Minutes:

A report had been circulated to the Board prior to the virtual meeting outlining the proposed further action to take in respect of the following:-

 

  • Youth representation;
  • Transportation, Green and Blue Infrastructure Forum

 

In respect of youth representation, it was suggested that a task and finish group be created to determine what the Board wished to achieve and how this would be of benefit to Board discussions.  Sally Hepton, Mark Hills and Adam Knight and offered to assist in supporting with this.

 

In respect of transportation there was a proposal to establish a Transportation, Green and Blue Infrastructure Forum tasked with the following priorities:-

 

  • Purpose & Objectives;
  • High level strategy;
  • Terms of Reference;
  • Good governance;
  • Structure;
  • Areas to be represented;
  • Membership;
  • Support functions;
  • Administrative support

 

A further verbal update was provided in respect of the following sub-groups:-

 

  • Heritage Centre
  • Sports and Open spaces
  • Hs2
  • Town centre regeneration

 

In respect of the Heritage Centre, the Chairman advised that a number of meetings with old and new trustees had taken place over the last few weeks whereby an agreement had been reached to proceed with a governance review.  A review was scheduled to take place within the next 3 months.

 

In-depth discussions took place around transportation and Hs2, with reference to opportunities relating to publicity, engagement, procurement and apprenticeships and funding.   Members were advised that funding was available from the Business and Local Economy and Community and Environment Fund which would support community projects along the line of the Hs2 route.  Further information was available at https://hs2funds.org.uk.  A statement on behalf of the Chairman in response to Hs2 royal assent had been drafted and would be published on the website shortly.

 

In respect of the regeneration of the town centre, the Chairman advised the Board that a meeting had taken place last week with town centre operators and a task and finish panel would be established in order to discuss how proposals relating to the regeneration of the town centre could move forward.

 

RESOLVED

 

That the contents of the report be endorsed.

77.

Communication & Engagement Sub-Group Update (10 Minutes)

Reverend David Edwards to share an update from the Communication & Engagement Sub-Group.

Minutes:

A verbal update was provided on the work undertaken by the Communication and Engagement Sub-Group which included information on the development of a communication plan, social media plan and a plan for engagement with all unsuccessful project leads. 

 

It was noted that resources were limited and the activities of the Communication and Engagement Sub-Group had to be restricted to what could be realistically achieved within the scope of existing resources.  A request was therefore made for additional funding of £2,000 from the Board in order to cover the design and any maintenance issues in respect of the website for the next couple of years.

 

In relation to the ‘Have your say’ aspect of the website there had been a request from small businesses to not only be kept informed but to be given the opportunity to capitalise on any projects coming forward.

 

RESOLVED

That the update be noted and that the request for an additional £2,000 worth of funding be granted.

78.

Strategic Update from Cheshire East Council (10 Minutes)

To receive an update from Peter Skates, the Director of Growth & Enterprise.

Minutes:

Peter Skates, the Director of Growth & Enterprise attended the virtual meeting and gave a verbal update in which he advised that work on the progress hall was continuing and a further visit for Ward Councillors and Board members had been arranged to take place the following week.  In respect of the Future High Streets Fund there was little further to add to the earlier update other than it was hoped further information would be forthcoming within the next week.

 

Adam Knight attended the virtual meeting and gave a verbal update in respect of Lyceum Square.  He informed the Board that the project was now at Riba stage 2.  Stage 2 provided an outline of the proposals and potential solutions for the scheme.  Two visual boards were now on display at the market hall and whilst they were not the final designs they provided the visual interpretation of the progress made so far.  It was anticipated that Riba stage 3 would be ready by the end of month.  Adam expressed his appreciation and thanks to Jez Goodman, Chris Jackson and Charles Jarvis for their support over the last few months.

 

RESOLVED

 

That the update be noted.

79.

Covid (5 Minutes)

To discuss COVID-19 in terms of approach and information sharing.

Minutes:

There was no further update in respect of this matter.

80.

AOB (5 Minutes)

To put forward any other items of business.

Minutes:

Guy Kilminster, the Corporate Manager for Health Improvement informed the Board that the announcement of the outcome in respect of the Healthier Economies Fund for which an Expression of Interest had been submitted at the end of January had been delayed.  As a result, a decision on whether the bid had successfully made it to stage two of the process would not be made until the end of March potentially early April.

 

The Chairman informed the Board that he had been asked to chair the Industrial Heritage Group.  This group was one of a number of thematic groups established by ARUP.

81.

Dates of Future Virtual Meetings

To confirm the dates of future virtual meetings as follows:-

 

·         Friday 9th April 2021

·         Friday 7th May 2021

·         Friday 4th June 2021

·         Friday 2nd July 2021

·         Friday 6th August 2021

·         Friday 3rd September 2021

·         Friday 1st October 2021

·         Friday 5th November 2021

·         Friday 3rd December 2021

Minutes:

RESOLVED

 

That the dates of future meetings of the Board be as follows:-

 

·         Friday 9 April 2021

·         Friday 7 May 2021

·         Friday 4 June 2021

·         Friday 2 July 2021

·         Friday 6 August 2021

·         Friday 3 September 2021

·         Friday 1 October 2021

·         Friday 5 November 2021

·         Friday 3 December 2021