To scrutinise the final proposed Medium Term Strategy 2021-25, including the council’s Corporate Plan, budget, policy proposals and capital programme, providing feedback and comments for Cabinet to consider on 2 February 2021.
Report to follow.
The committee considered the Medium Term Financial Strategy 2021-25 and the various strategies and plans it comprised. In respect of the Corporate Plan 2021-25, members asked questions and put comments in relation to;
· the highly ambitious nature of the plan and that it had been well put together;
· it brought the council more in-line with what it should be – a public-focused and public-serving organisation, rather than a business operation;
· it was positive to see such ambitious ‘green’ targets within the plan and hope that these would be achieved; and
· the response rate to the public consultation held.
Following an introduction to the report by the Director of Finance and Customer Services (s151 Officer) members put comments and asked questions in relation to;
· the need for the council to increase its council tax precept to ensure it received the additional £6.9m of ringfenced funding for adult social care services;
· the council’s total estimated spend in response to Covid-19; and
· that there could have been greater or more detailed reference to invest-to-save strategies through the council’s proposed Capital Strategy.
The committee then considered in detail the changes that had been made to the budgetary proposals following the Pre-Budget Consultation 2021/22 period, with further questions asked on each of these changes.
1 That the report be received and its recommendations noted.
2 That the committee’s comments and feedback be reported to Cabinet to consider, prior to its meeting on 2 February 2021.