Agenda and minutes

Cheshire and Warrington Local Transport Body
Thursday, 25th July, 2019 10.00 am, MOVED

Venue: The Capesthorne Room - Town Hall, Macclesfield SK10 1EA. View directions

Contact: Sarah Baxter  Democratic Services Officer

No. Item


Appointment of Temporary Chairman for the Meeting

To appoint a temporary Chairman for the meeting.


It was moved and seconded that Councillor H Mundry be appointed as Chairman for the meeting.




That Councillor H Mundry be appointed as Chairman for the meeting.


Welcome, Introductions and Apologies for Absence

The Chairman will open the meeting and welcome attendees to the meeting of the Local Transport Body.


Apologies for absence were received from Councillor K Shore.


Declarations of Interest

To provide an opportunity for Members and Officers to declare any disclosable pecuniary and non-pecuniary interests in any item on the agenda.


There were no declarations of interest.


Minutes of Previous meeting pdf icon PDF 140 KB

To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 21 December 2018.


The minutes of the meeting held on 21 December 2019 were received.


Public Speaking Time/Open Session

A period of 15 minutes is allocated for members of the public to address the meeting on any matter relevant to the work of the body in question.  Individual members of the public may speak for up to 5 minutes but the Chairman or person presiding will decide how the period of time allocated for public speaking will be apportioned where there are a number of speakers.



There were no members of public present who wanted to speak.


Draft Workplan for LTB for 2019/2020 pdf icon PDF 106 KB

To consider the Draft Workplan for LTB for 2019/2020.


Roy Newton, Cheshire & Warrington Local Enterprise Partnership (C&WLEP) presented a report to Members which set out the recommended priority areas of work for 2019/20 in order to further develop and deliver the transport strategy aligned with the development of the Local Industrial Strategy.


Councillor C Browne welcomed the fact that the delivery of the Crewe hub was a key priority.  In addition he appreciated the comments made in respect of the bus strategy and that a different emphasis would be placed on each local authority.  He considered that the strategy would fit in with the Council’s objective to use more sustainable methods of transport.


Further comments were made in respect of the rail connectivity to Scotland and how this should not be lost but improved, necessity for the plan to include connections to North wales and cleaner air, congestion and improvements to cycle ways should also be referred to within the priority of areas of work.


The LEP and LTB were commended for taking forward the work programme given the Government’s strong emphasis on working collaboratively.




That the work programme be agreed.


Prioritising Business Case Development pdf icon PDF 171 KB

To consider a report on prioritising business case development.


Roy Newton, C&WLEP presented a report on prioritising the business case development. 


Councillor C Browne welcomed the decision to allocate £400,000.  One further comment was made in respect of a study for the A50 corridor, however this had not made it onto the existing list of transport projects.  It was confirmed that the list was not exhaustive and that the study would be added to the list.




That the process for prioritising studies and/or business case development for potential LEP funding contribution be noted.


HS2 and Crewe Hub Update pdf icon PDF 148 KB

To receive an update in respect of HS2 and the Crewe Hub.

Additional documents:


Chris Hindle, the Head of Infrastructure at Cheshire East Council gave an update to Members on HS2 and the Crewe hub.


It was reported that Cheshire East Council alongside the LEP was working closely with the Government in relation to enhancements to Crewe station.  Existing platforms will be extended to accommodate HS2 trains and new depot facilities would be provided to the south of Winsford/Middlewich.  It was further reported that work was being undertaken to develop proposals for a new transfer deck and roof within the station.  The outcome of this work would be presented to Members in due course. 


Work was also being undertaken in respect of the Area Action Plan to ensure that the right form of development around the station was achieved.  A wider transport strategy is being developed in parallel.  The road network around the station was of particular concern and this needed resolving.  One option being considered was the possibility of a new bridge on the South side of the station which would take some pressure off Nantwich Road.  Further progress on this would reported to a future meeting.


It was emphasised that the Crewe hub was not just part of HS2 but an important component of the Northern Powerhouse Rail.




That the update be noted.


Northern Powerhouse Rail Update pdf icon PDF 130 KB

To receive an update on the Northern Powerhouse Rail.


Roy Newton, C&WLEP gave an update on progress made by Transport for the North (TfN) and the Department for Transport (DfT) who had jointly commissioned the business case work for the Northern Powerhouse Rail (NPR).


It was commented that the Crewe connection for HS2 was necessary and the funding whilst wasn’t there was required.


It was emphasised that connections from the NPR to the wider area were fundamental in order to ensure wider North connections could be made.




1.         That the progress made to date by the Department for Transport and Transport for the North in the preparation of a Draft Strategic Outline Business Case for Northern Powerhouse Rail be noted.


2.         That the key issues for Cheshire and Warrington with regard to the Northern Powerhouse Rail proposals be noted.


3.         That updates on both of these matters would be provided at a future meeting of the Cheshire and Warrington Local Transport Body.


Transport for the North Update pdf icon PDF 68 KB

To receive an update on Transport for the North.

Additional documents:


Roy Newton, the Transport & Investment Director from Cheshire & Warrington

Local Enterprise Partnership attended the meeting and updated Members

with progress made in respect of Transport for the North.


One comment was made reminding Members of the importance of

acknowledging the link from the report provided and priorities for the LEP

schemes highlighted in the investment plan.




1.That the Transport for the North developments and continuing activities be



2.That the Cheshire and Warrington LEP also be a co-opted member of TfN.


3.That the Local Enterprise Partnership and all three Local Transport

Authorities across Cheshire and Warrington are fully represented on the TfN

Partnership Board, TfN Board (Members and LEPs) and Executive Board

(Local Transport Authority Officers) by Christine Gaskell (LEP) Cllr Hans

Mundry (Warrington Borough Council), Cllr Louise Gittens Shore (Cheshire

West and Chester Council) and Cllr Craig Browne (Cheshire East Council).

Further to this an officer from each of the three authorities should sit on the

TfN Executive Board.


4.That the progress made on all of the TfN work streams as listed and

Briefly summarised in Section 3 of the report be noted.



Mid-Cheshire Line Study Update

To receive a verbal update on the Mid-Cheshire Line Study.


Roy Newton, C&WLEP gave a verbal update.  He reported that the LEP alongside Cheshire East Council and Cheshire West & Chester Council had funded a feasibility study and that the work had now concluded and it was anticipated that information on this would be uploaded onto the LEP website shortly.  Furthermore he stated that the LEP was in the process of preparing a two sided summary which would also be uploaded to the LEP’s website and distributed to Members as soon as possible.  The next stage would then to be look at developing a strategic outline business case.




That the update be noted.


Department for Transport Update

To receive a verbal update from the Department of Transport.


Richard Perry from Highways England attended the meeting and gave an update on behalf of the Department for Transport (DfT).


He reported that the new Secretary of State for Transport was Grant Shapps.  In respect of the spending review a decision on this would be taken early December.  It was anticipated that there would be additional funding for transport and hopefully there would be an opportunity to bid for further funding.  It was noted that £198 million was being made available and that £150 million was the pinch point. 




That the update be noted.


Highways England Update

To receive a verbal update from Highways England.


Mike Sinnott from Highways England attended the meeting and gave the following updates:-


RIS1 schemes in Cheshire & Warrington


·         M6 J19 remained on track and work was due to start on site before the end of RIS1.

·         Members were updated on the status of some Highways England schemes via the Delivery Plan 2019/20 Update.

·         Earlier in the year it was announced the rescheduling of the North West smart motorway programme to ensure disruption was kept to a minimum for customers. This meant work would start on the M6 J21a-26 in 2022.

·         There was a need to improve the M6 junction 22 and further work was required in order to make sure the solution was the right one.  As such, work was being undertaken with some additional investigation to improve proposals.  Further details would be provided in due course.

·         A further review of the M56 J11a scheme.  Recent improvements to the roundabout at junction 12 for the Mersey Gateway Bridge alongside safety improvements at junction 11 have helped improve congestion and traffic flow.

·         Investigations were taking place in respect of replacing the existing A533 Expressway bridge which would help improve safety, journey experience and ensure it was future proofed.  Works were currently anticipated in 2020 or 2021.




           Remained unclear how the funding would be allocated.

           RIS2 Investment Plan (major schemes) expected in the Autumn.

           Anticipating continued inclusion of Designated Funds, for Users & Communities, Safety & Congestion, Modernisation & Innovation, and Environment – but criteria and levels of funding associated with each were not yet clear.  Funding could be constrained, but Highways England was working with Cheshire & Warrington stakeholders to understand needs and aspirations to inform Highways England thinking about schemes which could be progressed under these funds in RIS2.




That the update be noted.


Update on Local Authority Major Scheme Progress pdf icon PDF 2 MB

To receive verbal/written updates from each of the Local Authorities.

Additional documents:


Updates were provided for each local authority area.


Cheshire East


·         Sydney Road Bridge Improvement

·         Poynton Relief Road

·         Middlewich Eastern Bypass

·         North West Crewe Package

·         A500 Dualling


Cheshire West & Chester


·         A51-Funding had been agreed and the Council was due to start the CPO process.  Ecological works had already commenced and it was anticipated that physical activity taking place on site in Spring.

·         Gladbrook Pinch Point Programme-The tender process would was anticipated to end by the Summer with physical activity taking place on site in November.




·         Waterfront Western Link-DfT Large Local Majors Fund

·         M62 Junction 8-Local Growth Fund-COMPLETE

·         Warrington East Ph1-Local Growth Fund-COMPLETE

·         Centre Park Link-Local Growth Fun-ON SITE

·         Warrington West Station-Local Growth Fund-ON SITE

·         Warrington East Phases 2&3-Local Growth Fund-ON SITE

·         Sustainable Transport Project-Access Fund-Local Growth Fund

·         Omega Local Highways-Local Growth Fund




That the updates be noted.


Date of Next Meeting

To confirm the date of the next meeting as follows:-


Friday 4 October 2019




That the date of the next meeting take place on 4 October 2019.