Venue: Council Chamber, Municipal Buildings, Earle Street, Crewe CW1 2BJ. View directions
Contact: Mark Nedderman Senior Scrutiny Officer
To approve the minutes of the meeting held on 7 June 2018
That the minutes of the meeting held on the 7 June
2018 be confirmed as a correct record and signed by the Chairman.
Councillor Paul Bates - Finance and Communication Portfolio Holder
Councillor Paul Findlow - Corporate Policy and Legal Services Portfolio Holder
PaKathO’Dwyer - Interim Chief Executive
Frank Jordan - Executive Director - Place
Linda Couchman - Acting Strategic Director of ASC & Health
Nigel Moor house - Director of Children’s Social Care
Sara Barker - Head of Strategic HR
Jo Wilcox - Financial Strategy & Reporting Manager -
Claire Pattinson - Deputy Monitoring Officer
Declarations of Interest
To provide an opportunity for Members and Officers to declare any disclosable pecuniary and non-pecuniary interests in any item on the agenda.
There were no declarations of interest.
Declaration of Party Whip
To provide an opportunity for Members to declare the existence of a party whip in relation to any item on the agenda.
There were no declarations of the existence of a party whip.
Public Speaking Time/Open Session
A total period of 15 minutes is allocated for members of the public to make a statement(s) on any matter that falls within the remit of the Committee.
Individual members of the public may speak for up to 5 minutes, but the Chairman will decide how the period of time allocated for public speaking will be apportioned, where there are a number of speakers.
Note: In order for officers to undertake any background research, it would be helpful if members of the public contacted the Scrutiny officer listed at the foot of the agenda, at least one working day before the meeting to provide brief details of the matter to be covered.
There were no members of the public present who wished to speak.
To Consider a report of the Interim Executive Director of Corporate Services.
The Committee considered a report of the Interim Director of Corporate Services on the Mid-Year Review of Performance for 2018/19.
The report outlined the budgetary pressures facing the Council and the mitigation measures used to address forecast overspends. The report also highlighted examples of good performance in Quarter 2.
Annex 1 to the report set out details of how the Council was performing in 2018/19 and was structured into three sections:
Section 1 - Summary of Council Performance
Section 2 - Financial Stability.
Section 3 - Workforce Development
RESOLVED - That the following Comments be forwarded to Cabinet for consideration at its meeting to be held on 9 October 2018:
1. That this Committee notes the projected overspend of £5.3 million in 2018/19 and that although this amount is less than in previous years at the comparable point in the financial year, the Committee still has concerns about the overall level of the projected overspend;
2. The Committee also notes that for the first time, there is a projected overspend in Corporate Services;
3. The Committee notes that savings of £1.5 million were projected in the Medium Term Financial Strategy but that only £500,000 have been achieved;
4. The committee acknowledges and notes that there are difficulties in producing realistic business cases for digital projects and notes that a meeting of the Best4Business joint working group will be convened in the near future where consideration will be given to this matter and that the Council’s representatives on the working group will report be invited to report back this Committee in due course.
5. The Committee acknowledges the hard work of Directorates to improve services across the Council and specifically draws attention to the following:
· The continuing good work in children’s services managing high numbers of cared for children;
· Excellent A level results across the borough with a provisional pass rate of 99%;
· The reported 4% increase in usage of leisure centres in the borough;
6 That the attention of Cabinet be drawn to the following additional comments:
· That the Committee intends to undertake a review of the content and style of report it would like in future in relation to performance data and will advise Corporate Leadership Team accordingly on its preferred reporting style;
· That in response to a question about allocation of business rates to Local Authorities, the Head of Finance agreed to circulate a briefing note to all Members;
· The Chief Executive undertook to provide additional information about the 73 awareness events referred to in section 1 of the report – summary of performance paragraph 7;
· In response to a question regarding the number of gypsy and traveller encampments reported in paragraph 24 in section 1 a link to the consultation document on the Council’s website would be provided for Members;
· That when the performance score card for Place is considered by Environment and Regeneration Overview and Scrutiny Committee on 15 October 2018 that details on the removal of weeds on the highway is provided.
· That ANSA would ... view the full minutes text for item 43.
To review the work programme.
The Committee reviewed its work programme.
RESOLVED That the following changes be noted:
· That Councillors Harold Davenport and Arthur Moran have been invited to join the Members’ Facilities Accommodation and Culture Task and Finish group;
· That the item relating to Members expenses be deleted as this matter would more appropriately be dealt with at Audit and Governance Committee;
· That the fly tipping monitoring group had now been established as a Cabinet group;
· That an item be included to review the Council’s communication protocols.
To note the current forward plan, identify any new items, and to determine whether any further examination of new issues is appropriate.
RESOLVED- That the Forward Plan be received and noted.