Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To consider the actions required to manage Bovine TB on Council land.
Cabinet considered a report on the management of bovine tuberculosis on Council land. The report set out the steps that the Council planned to take.
In considering the report, Cabinet was mindful of the risk management implications in paragraph 6.6.
1. recognises the impact of Bovine Tuberculous on cattle, wildlife, and the farming community in the Borough;
2. endorses good bio-security in the rural environment to reduce the risk of transmission of Bovine Tuberculous;
3. confirms that this Council will not support the culling of badgers on Council land and will seek to amend its new leases accordingly. Any essential variation of such a lease clause will be subject to a formal request in writing and subsequent consent;
4. endorses vaccination as an important part of any long-term approach to reducing the general prevalence of the disease, risk to cattle or wildlife and its impact in Cheshire East and resolves to support badger vaccination programmes, particularly in those areas most at risk of the spread of Bovine Tuberculous, and to commit in principle to support them financially with Council and other resources; and
5. notes the risks outlined in paragraph 6.6 of the report.
Report author: Andy Kehoe
Publication date: 17/01/2020
Date of decision: 14/01/2020
Decided at meeting: 14/01/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 25/01/2020