Decision Maker: Adults and Health Committee
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: No
To discuss the Notice of Motion posed around Cost of Living and provide an update on the Cost of Living interventions introduced in Cheshire East.
The Committee considered the report on the Notice of Motion relating to the Cost-of-Living Crisis which was proposed by Councillor Clowes and seconded by Councillor Tony Dean at the Full Council meeting on the 19th October 2022. The report outlined the Council’s approach to the Cost-of-Living Crisis and the interventions that were underway. A further report around impact of interventions would be presented back to Committee at a later date.
The Committee had a full discussion on the matter and noted the content of the report. It was moved and seconded to accept the Notice of Motion in part, specifically the resolutions outlined on page 167 of the report.
The Committee thanked Dan Coyne and his team for all their hard work.
RESOLVED: (Unanimously) That:-
The committee acknowledged the work done to date by officers on the cost-of-living crisis, including:
(1) The approach taken by Cheshire East Council (the Council)
(2) How the Council have increased their reach
(3) How the Council are monitoring the immediate increase in need
(4) The interventions introduced and;
(5) How the Council are the monitoring the impact the cost-of-living crisis is having going forward
RESOLVED: (By Majority) That:-
Cheshire East Council:
1. Work with the Government to ensure that it delivers the much-appreciated support to the residents of Cheshire East as quickly as possible.
2. Proactively identify those most in need of support in Cheshire East and ensure that they access all the Government support for which they are eligible.
3. Identify further local opportunities in Cheshire East for energy generation to help increase the supply of energy to further aid the long-term lowering of prices, support the Government’s aim of domestic energy security and create local jobs.
Report author: Dan Coyne
Publication date: 25/01/2023
Date of decision: 23/01/2023
Decided at meeting: 23/01/2023 - Adults and Health Committee