Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: No
Is subject to call in?: Yes
Cabinet considered a report on a three-year programme of activity to enhance access to digital technology in Cheshire.
Councillor S Pochin, speaking as the Council’s Business Champion, asked about the perceived risks to the project being completed in full, on time and within budget. The Portfolio Holder for Environment and Regeneration responded, outlining the approach the Council would be taking to ensure the successful completion of the project.
1. approves the establishment of the Digital Cheshire programme with Cheshire East Council acting as the Accountable Body and signatory to all contracts and funding agreements;
2. notes that the partners of Connecting Cheshire i.e. Cheshire West and Chester Council, Warrington Borough Counci and Halton Borough Council similarly need to secure their own approvals for the acceptance of funding and to enter into the programme, the following recommendations and delegations being subject to all partners securing their necessary approvals;
3. delegates to the Executive Director Place, in consultation with the Portfolio Holder for Environment and Regeneration and the Director of Governance and Compliance, authority to accept an offer of European Regional Development Fund funding and to finalise the terms and conditions of the legal agreement between the Council and Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government in respect of the grant and the associated governance processes required;
4. delegates to the Executive Director Place, in consultation with the Director of Governance and Compliance, authority to finalise and enter into an infrastructure delivery contract (following due internal dilligence and external State Aid approval processes) with an external supplier in order to deliver the physical broadband connectivity;
5. authorises the Executive Director Place, in consultation with the Director of Governance and Compliance, to enter into any necessary legal documentation to give effect to the above recommendations, including entering into an updated Collaboration Agreement between Cheshire East, Cheshire West and Chester, Warrington and Halton Borough Councils for the Digital Cheshire programme; and
6. authorises Officers to take all necessary actions to implement the above recommendations with particular reference to decision-making in relation to the Connecting Cheshire Partnership, the final programme scope and design of the Digital Cheshire programme, all grant and grant-related procurements and award of contracts, and the day-to-day management necessary to implement the programme.
Publication date: 14/09/2020
Date of decision: 08/09/2020
Decided at meeting: 08/09/2020 - Cabinet
Effective from: 22/09/2020
Current call-in Count: 0