Decision Maker: Cabinet
Decision status: Recommendations Approved
Is Key decision?: Yes
Is subject to call in?: Yes
To seek approval to publish a Publication Draft of the Cheshire East Site Allocations and Development Policies Document, along with its supporting evidence, for a further six weeks’ public consultation.
Cabinet considered a report on the Site Allocations and Development Policies Document which formed the second part of the Council’s Local Plan. The report sought Cabinet approval of the publication draft version of the document and its publication for consultation purposes.
The Leader drew attention to the recommendations of the Strategic Planning Board on 24th July 2019 as follows:
That for the reasons set out in the report:
1. Cabinet approve for consultation the Publication Draft version of the Site Allocations and Development Policies Document (Appendix 1), its Sustainability Appraisal (Appendices 2 and 2a) and Habitats Regulation Assessment (Appendix 3) for public consultation with the consultation period to commence Monday 19 August 2019 and end Sunday 13 October 2019. In addition it is recommended that the consultation process take fully on board engagement with the settled Gypsy and Traveller communities across the Borough in areas of proposed residential and transit sites with the purpose of community cohesion for both settled and transient Travellers/Gypsy communities;
2. Cabinet approve and publish alongside the documents listed in (i), the draft Plan’s supporting evidence base (Appendix 6) and the draft Statement of Common Ground (Appendix 8).
With regard to the consultation period of eight weeks recommended by the Strategic Planning Board, the Acting Chief Executive advised that whilst the national guidance on the SADPD required a minimum consultation period of six weeks, the Council’s Statement of Community Involvement required a consultation period of six weeks and that therefore, to ensure that the process was followed legally and correctly, a six week consultation period would apply.
The Leader advised that the Strategic Planning Board’s recommendation that the consultation take fully on board engagement with the Gypsy and Traveller communities across the Borough did not require a formal resolution of Cabinet.
The Leader further advised that following the consultation period, a further report would be submitted to Cabinet on the outcome of that consultation and Cabinet would have the opportunity, if it wished, to make any amendments to the SADPD in light of the consultation feedback. Any amendments made by Cabinet at that stage could require a further consultation period.
Councillor S Gardiner spoke on this matter as Vice-Chairman of the Strategic Planning Board and as the Council’s Equality and Diversity Champion.
That, having considered the recommendations of the Strategic Planning Board, Cabinet
1. approves the Publication Draft version of the Site Allocations and Development Policies Document (Appendix 1), its Sustainability Appraisal (Appendices 2 and 2a) and Habitats Regulation Assessment (Appendix 3) for public consultation, and approves for publication the draft Plan’s supporting evidence base (listed in Appendix 6);
2. approves for publication the draft Statement of Common Ground (Appendix 8); and
3. authorises the Head of Strategic Planning to make any additional non-material changes to the consultation documents or supporting information ahead of the consultation and prepare any additional explanatory information to support the consultation.
Report author: Jeremy Owens
Publication date: 09/08/2019
Date of decision: 06/08/2019
Decided at meeting: 06/08/2019 - Cabinet
Effective from: 17/08/2019